City Council votes on the Green Line Alignment on June 15, 2020. Show your support for this city-building project by writing your Councillor to encourage their “yes” vote.
Right-click the picture to the left to save and use on your social media. If you’re on mobile, save to your device.
Expressing your support to City Council
Cut and paste the letter below to email your City Councillor.
I am writing this letter asking you to support the Green Line Stage 1 alignment as presented. In this time of uncertainty and change, it’s time for Council to make a bold investment in our future as a modern, thriving city.
Faced with the challenges of an economic crisis and a global pandemic, it’s tempting to “play it safe” or “wait and see.” But I feel strongly that it’s precisely because of this timing we send a strong message to all Calgarians: we believe in the future of this City, we are willing to invest in jobs and projects that make life here better and we are committed to serving Calgarians of all ages, races, mobility levels and socio-economic backgrounds
I am confident that the Green Line Project Team has done its due diligence, consulted the experts and come up with the best possible plan within the project constraints. The models and the figures have all been laid before us. I believe the time is now.
- The time for Green Line is now because infrastructure projects aid recovery
- The time for Green Line is now because Provincial and Federal governments are investing in infrastructure
- The time for Green Line is now because the north has waited many decades for LRT service and getting over the river is the key to unlocking the rest of the line
- The time for Green Line is now because BRT is noisy, crowded, environmentally inferior and a band-aid solution.
- The time for Green Line is now because Eau Claire and Crescent Heights have been languishing in uncertainty for far too long
- The time for Green Line is now because Transit Oriented Development is a much needed economic catalyst and “smart city” sustainable growth strategy
- The time for Green Line is now because taking care of businesses affected by construction is more likely in the context of a COVID-19 recovery plan
- The time for Green Line is now because “waiting and seeing” deters investment
- The time for Green Line is now because Calgarians need the 20,000+ jobs it will create
- The time for Green Line is now because Calgarians need hope
Today, in this moment, we need a clear sign that Calgary has a future worth investing in. Certainly there are questions and there is uncertainty. But now is the time for courage over fear, for hope over resignation, for trust over cynicism and for this Council to complete the legacy project you (and the councils before you) have worked so hard to advance. Don’t stop now! Take the leap. Make this investment in a Calgary for the future – one that is accessible by people of all ages, races, mobility levels and socio-economic backgrounds. I’m counting on you.